Sunday, August 31, 2008

Does toast taste better off the floor?

For any mother out there, I must ask, did your child/children prefer food off the floor to food on their tray? I really believe, my beautiful amazing daughter wishes she was 'born in a barn' as they say, so she could just eat off the floor.

There are three meals a day, and usually two or three snacks that Ivy and I sit down and eat at the table, so that is five or six times a day that Ivy eats a bite or two, just enough to get me excited she is going to eat it, YAY! I think, sometimes she takes it just long enough and far enough for me to jump up and get the camera, I want to capture her actually eating at the table, and then, EVERY TIME (no Joke) every time, she starts throwing food on the floor. And it is not just a simple toss it over the tray where you almost wonder if it was an accident or not, usually followed by a cute "Uh-oh."
No, No, Ivy waits to make full eye contact with you, almost gives you a little smirk, and then with a full swing of her arm CHUCKS the toast I slaved over (yes even buttering toast is like slave work to me!) across the kitchen, a carrot actually stuck to the sliding glass door the other day so it not just toast. It is fruit, veggies, pasta (what child doesn't like spaghetti....oh yea Mine doesn't), pretty much anything and everything, especially if it is: sticky, will harden into some unknown substance that could hold rocket ships together, or will be stepped on and smash into a million pieces.

It is not just the throwing though... I can handle that, well obviously barely handle that. But it is the fact that twenty minutes later she is crawling back to the kitchen and eating the food she just so disdainfully rejected and threw.
Now, you might wonder here: Whitney, why is there food still on the floor twenty minutes later? Well the best way for me to explain that is... Usually, after these major league pitching sessions called mealtimes, are followed by me struggling to wipe her hands and face (why do all kids hate having their face cleaned? How do I explain to her, 'Ivy, you are a mess and we can't possibly leave this house with you looking like that and if you saw yourself right now it would probably make you scream and cry, even give you nightmares!') I am so exasperated and tired I come sit on the couch, sigh deeply, and look from the food on the floor to the front door and wonder; 'When the *&%#! is dad-of-ivy going to come home and clean this mess up?'

Yea I know he is working, and working hard, but PUH_LEEZ, I just SLAVED over the toaster or microwave (yes slaved and notice not the stove:)) then did some ridiculous song and dance so I could distract her from the "torture" that is a wet cloth on her face, and now I have to sweep and usually mop too? What?
Besides I realized the other day as Ivy was eating the corn off the floor she had just thrown off her tray, why clean when I seem to have given birth to the worlds greatest vacuum/mop?! They say dogs are great vacuums, they should see Ivy.

But my cleaning habits, or lack of, are distracting from the main point...Does toast or any other food taste better off the floor?
So tonight I think I am just going to serve us all dinner on the floor, Ivy seems to think it tastes better that way, I want to give it a try. And tomorrow I am going to talk to Jonathan's boss about giving him some flex time so he can come home and clean.

1 comment:

Ashley May said...

Hi Whitney! Little Ivy is just too funny... I have so much to look forward to :O) I love reading your blog, you are a good writer! I am glad that you and Jon live in Portland, you have no idea how much it means to our family to have some OTHER family around. We love it!